Spinal Surgery is a subspecialty of Orthopaedic Surgery which involves diagnosis and surgical intervention of conditions of the spine.
The purpose of spinal surgery is to improve pain, function and quality of life.
Surgical treatment is usually in the nature of:
- Decompression – To relieve the pressure on the spinal nerves or cord
- Stabilisation – To relieve the pressure on the spinal nerves or spinal cord
- Corrections of deformity – Such as scoliosis, kyphosis
- Motion Sparing Surgery – Disc replacement
Main Surgical Operations include:
- Anterior Cervical Decompression and Fusion
- Lumbar Microdiscectomy
- Decompression for Spinal Stenosis
- Lumbar Fusion
- Spondylolisthesis Decompression/Fusion