2023 was another huge year for Ormiston Hospital and our team. We have celebrated helping a record number of patients, launching a network-first menopause policy, further developing our health and wellbeing programme and welcoming lots of new staff and specialists to the Ormiston Hospital team – just to name a few highlights!
This blog shares some of our proudest moments from the year that was and celebrates our great team who work hard every day to make Ormiston Hospital a great place for patients, visitors and colleagues. A very heartfelt ‘thank you’ goes out to everyone who passes through our hospital doors – you’ve all contributed to making this year one to remember.
Record breakers and winners
2023 saw us welcome a record number of patients through our doors – over 9,200. This is the largest number of patients we have seen at Ormiston Hospital since its doors opened in 2010. Not only have we helped thousands of people in our local community (and those further afield), we have welcomed 57x new colleagues into the Ormiston team, and 15x new specialists.
Continuing to grow and develop our team and the services we provide is extremely important to us. The ability to add skilled people to our organisation, even during a healthcare crisis, speaks volumes about the environment we create for our team to develop their careers.
With growth, development and success in mind, we took the opportunity to refresh our Ormiston Hospital Vision and Values this year. Our new vision – ‘To be the Healthcare Hub of excellence, chosen by our communities’ – is a perfect fit as we look to expand our footprint at 125 Ormiston Road. Our new values showcase how we work to bring this vision to life:
Having these values on paper and bringing them to life can be two very separate things. That’s why we have introduced quarterly awards to celebrate our value superstars. Here are our Q1 and Q2 winners who have been recognised by their peers as individuals who showcase our values in their daily work life.
Helping our people thrive
This year has seen us further invest in workplace wellbeing for our colleagues. We were even recognised for our health and wellbeing initiatives, being named a finalist in the Southern Cross Health Society Wayfinder Awards. Here’s some of the initiatives we’re most proud of from 2023:
- A network-first Menopause Policy
- Being there to support our team members, no matter what life stage or event they are going through, is important – it was with this in mind that our Menopause Policy was reimagined. Our updated policy includes information about peri-menopause and menopause symptoms, and a guide for supporting team members experiencing them in the workplace. Our goal is to continue to create an environment where people feel comfortable enough to raise issues around menopause and to ask for additional support at work.
- One of our core values is ‘Passion in our people’ so it’s important that we protect, support and encourage our team to be the best they can both at work and at home. Chnnl is a mobile app that provides colleagues with a way to regularly check-in on their overall wellbeing in just a few clicks, as well as providing access to a wide range of wellbeing resources and EAP. In just the few months we have had Chnnl live, we have over 40% of our team checking in on the app regularly. Even better, we can use the anonymised data to track overall department and organisational wellbeing, identifying positive trends and putting support in place where there are concerns.
- A new HR portal – BambooHR
- BambooHR was launched in June and has completely digitised the way our team can access their employment documentation. The use of this tool now means that our colleagues can access their important documents whenever they need to, as well as keep their personal information up to date. Since the launch of BambooHR, we have also introduced digitised performance reviews and are looking to develop an orientation package via the platform in the new year.
In addition to the above, we have given our shared spaces for colleagues a spruce! Our staff tearoom has been upgraded with comfy new furniture and new spaces for people to take a break and unwind. Our administration team members are also looking great in their new uniforms.
Giving back to our community
The Ormiston Hospital Wellbeing calendar has been full of charity initiatives this year. Our team have dug deep to generously contribute to the Auckland City Mission, Breast Cancer Foundation NZ and Koha Tree (AKA Shoebox Christmas), just to name a few.
Full steam ahead
2024 is shaping up to be an even bigger year! The Hospital’s new wing is due for completion in Q3 next year and is an instrumental part of bringing our vision of being a healthcare hub for our community to life. Our new building will be the proud new home of our growing Endoscopy services as well as other exciting new onsite service providers.
To complement our growing footprint and services, we will also be launching a new look and feel for Ormiston Hospital throughout the first half of next year. This will include a new website with improved digital services and a new-look brand to support our future growth aspirations.
Finally, thank you again to our team for their continued work and support of our organisation. We wish everyone and their families a very safe and happy festive season and an amazing 2024.